the itjerk

my adventures with technology

Tag Archives: bionic beaver

ubuntu 18.04 lts

Desktop upgrade time. The latest version of Ubuntu, 18.04 lts “Bionic Beaver,” was released last week, so I decided to upgrade my desktop computer in situ from 16.04LTS. There’s lots of changes between LTS versions, but the big change here was the switch from Compiz/Unity display manager and desktop to Xorg/Gnome. The reason why I upgrade is that the LTS version is supported until 2023, though I have to admit that having a new UI was enticing, especially with Gnome Shell extensions.
sudo update-manager -cd
After the above command to make the upgrade available to Software Updater, I had errors. Nonetheless, Bionic Beaver installed, and I rebooted. The first error was with ca-certificates during upgrade, which is a known Bug #1767453. The second was a broken intramfs, which I solved by updating it for the current kernel, sudo update-initramfs -c -k 4.15.0-20-generic.

Bigger issue I had was with Xorg/Gnome. When I’d go to log in, I’d get an empty screen, though intermittently between reboots it would work. Ugh. So I reinstalled Xorg/Gnome, by doing this:
sudo tasksel install ubuntu-desktop
then uninstalled Compiz/Unity by this:
sudo apt-get purge compiz compiz-plugins-main-default libcompizconfig0

It ends up the issue boiled down to one of the Display Managers, lightdm or gdm3. I decided to purge lightdm and use gdm3, which after the following thorough reinstallation, seems to be working:
apt-get update
sudo apt-get -d install --reinstall gdm3
sudo apt-get remove --purge gdm3
sudo apt-get install gdm3

I also installed gnome-tweak-tool to move the min/max buttons to the left, and the new theme, Communitheme, because after 8 years of Ambiance we all need a new Ubunutu theme! I also found some useful Gnome Shell extensions, which I installed via the “chrome” plugin in Firefox (go figure!). Oh, and this:
gsettings set org.gnome.shell.extensions.dash-to-dock show-apps-at-top true

After the perfunctory sudo apt-get update/dist-upgrade/autoremove, I went through many things, like local copies of websites, Openvpn, etc. and found they worked. MiniDLNA was also running but Logitech Media Server needed to be reinstalled (with a new version: 7.9.1 – 1522157629 @ Fri Mar 30 12:25:29 CEST 2018).

Mostly good, and a nice change of desktop scenery!