March 12, 2018
Posted by on
Production website upgrades (do-release-upgrade from 14.04.5 to 16.04.4) are the most nerve-wracking ever. Being a “one-man show” means it’s all or nothing, no team to lean on, just my wits and google. Sure, I had a back-up if everything went south; yes, I had an idea everything would work; and yes, I ran into problems.
The local copy of my website needed an earlier version of php to work. That fix was easy enough, I just installed ondrej ppa for it. But I ran into a problem with the production site because I have iRedMail installed; so yes, the local copy isn’t completely like the production site. Here the problem was auth_mysql, as evidenced by sudo apache2ctl configtest. Two mods I have – awstats and cluebringer – were calling auth_mysql and preventing apache2 to load. The fix was fairly easy, apt-get install libaprutil1-dbd-mysql, and then clearing out the offending *.conf files. Thanks to iRedMail for information.
Seeing that website, email, etc live again was a good, good feeling.
A few weeks later, there were a few more things I had to tweak to get oh-so-right, but most of that was email related, and mostly non-OS related.