March 18, 2020
Posted by on
We have entered uncharted territories with COVID-19, as the threat is serious for the elderly and those with underlying conditions. Let’s all do our part to “flatten the curve.” As most everyone is out of school, work, etc., here’s some tips I shared at work, slightly modified for your work from home (WFH) experience.
- Ensure your laptop or home computer is updated and in good working condition, with the appropriate drive and VPN software installed. Battery not holding a charge? Buy a new one!
- Work from the Cloud. Use Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. to have access/share your files and data from wherever you may be. Remember, best to use whatever service your organization subscribes to.
- Export your bookmarks from your work or office computer. Use a single browser exclusively for work on your home computer. And remember, when your work VPN is on, it’s exactly like you’re at the office (remember NSFW).
- Have a business/team/group continuity plan in place, including a calling tree, and make sure it is up to date.
- CLEAN YOUR KEYBOARD AND MOUSE. Paper towels and 70% EtOH are effective cleaning and disinfecting them. Avoid using your keyboard and mouse while eating, and wear gloves if you need to share your workstation.
- Prioritize. Some things can wait and don’t be afraid to say “no.”
Stay safe everyone. We’ll get through this!