December 26, 2007
Posted by on
been using this thing for a while. a few _major_ problems:
1. the mouse randomly jumps all over the place. this stinks. here's what olpc says:
2. the sugar "frame" keeps popping up all the time. annoying.
UPDATE: I installed xfce on it, got flash working, tried to use it as a "laptop", but am not happy at all with it. Way underpowered, small keyboard, quirky, just not for me. Sorry, look for it to be auctioned on eBay sooner or later.
December 19, 2007
Posted by on
My OLPC XO arrived today via FedEx. Here's a first look at the unboxing:
Once you get your XO, started check out these links to get started:
OLPC Start Page and OLPC Support FAQ
A few initial observations:
1. The computer is much smaller than I imagined – not that I'm complaining. See pictures.
2. You'll more than likely need to run /sbin/ifconfig -a from terminal in order to get the MAC address of the wireless card. Look for the terminal Activity.
3. Sugar takes a little getting used to. It's a bit jumpy, and switching between applications isn't as intuitive as I would have thought (maybe I'm doing something wrong?)
4. The machine will power down all the way, but it takes a little longer than you'd expect.