It’s not often – ever? – that I get political as the itjerk, but here we go:
As the events of 2017 unfold each and every day, I find myself shaking my head with each gaffe the Donald makes, waiting only for the smoke to clear and find another nefarious raping of a public “good.”
What’s wrong with America?
1. Ignorance. There was a great meme that highlighted the “blue” vs “red” of America, labeling most of the latter (basically white people in less-concentrated population areas) as Dumbfuckistan. America seriously has an ignorance issue folks, perhaps best epitomized, sadly enough, in the line “I’m not a terrorist, I’m a patriot.” All the hot topics – abortion, illegals, gay marriage, the flag, Jesus, libertarianism, guns, support for the military, etc – it’s all smoke. Bullshit social issues that #oldwhitemen get the dumbasses all worked up about so they vote accordingly. In the meantime, the #oldwhitemen are a) widening the divide between the country and b) dismantling all the public good our country has to offer. Public Education, healthcare, social security, even welfare; just like diversity, these are not signs of weakness. They are America’s strength.
2. #oldwhitemen. Why anyone is voting for people over the age of 55 is beyond me. Get rid of the old, entrenched, archaic politicians that have been bought by lobbyists many times over. They live in another era, one that believes in the industrial military complex, and that “communism” and “socialism” are evil. Wake up: die Mauer fell almost 20 years ago, and the places with the highest standard of living are in Northern Europe, countries that have – wait for it – social democracies. Admittedly, Swedes, Finns, Norwegians, etc are pretty homogeneous societies and they probably agree on most things: “Yes, we like good roads. Yes, we need healthcare for all.” But it boils down to racism: #oldwhitemen are greedy bastards.”I’m not giving my money to THOSE people.” So don’t vote for #oldwhitemen, the women that love them, and younger guys that you know will grow up to be them. Okay? We need new thinking, a new generation, and new ideas. America’s a pretty smart place. We invented the internet, computers, rock-n-roll, all sorts of groovy things; how do we make public service worthy of our best and brightest?
3. Capitalism. I wish I could go back to college and get a PhD in Economics so I could rewrite the text books on present-day capitalism. Greatest economic system or not, guess what: just as the founding fathers wanted to keep religion out of government, we must now keep corporations out of government. It’s THE major failure in America over the past 30 years. Government must be there to protect people from unfettered capitalism. Citizens United is wrong. Now, look at the change in wealth distribution over the past 30 years. While #oldwhitemen drug the rest of us with consumerism, they’ve grabbed all the money. They’ve vilified taxes led us to believe that “social programs” – the largest part of our federal budget – is a bad thing Versus what, military spending? Net neutrality is another example. Who gives a flip about Comcast, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. It’s there job to figure out streaming and unlimited data and all that. We’re supposed to enjoy better, faster and more because of the competition the ISPs have with each other, right? Yet instead, they lobby and pay off the politicians, and install their lackeys in the FCC. Two decades later, we pay more for an internet connection than ever (which btw ranks 17th or so in the world). This is not capitalism. It’s rigged capitalism.
So let’s sum it up:
1. Don’t be stupid. Don’t vote with your so-called heart. It’s probably in the wrong place, especially if you live in Indiana.
2. Stop voting for #oldwhitemen. Just stop. Even Bernie. Where’s our Justin Trudeau?
3a. Our government was supposed to be “by the people, for the people.” Not “for the corporations.”
3b. Taxes are not evil, they pay for all the stuff a society needs: nice roads; schools and universities; social security for grandma and grandpa; birth control, so less idiots are born; the internet – well, it could if we stood up for it!
Once every couple of years, each of us have the opportunity to change all this by voting. So please, get your head out of Snapchat, Amazon and internet porn, for a few hours anyway, and vote. It’s a little bit of work, but the look at the stakes: #ignorance #oldwhitemen #capitalism.
Let’s make America smart again.